From College to Career in West Virginia

Share
Ajia Toth, Marshall University Class of 2023
Ajia Toth, a recent graduate of Marshall University, is one of the many success stories of the new First Ascent program. Designed to help young professionals transition seamlessly from college to their careers, First Ascent serves as a launch pad for graduates entering the workforce.

Since graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Technology in December 2023, Ajia has found a unique path that bridges her academic background and her professional aspirations.

“I love the friends and community I’ve found here in Huntington.” - Ajia Toth

Ajia’s journey with First Ascent began in the early days of the program.

Ajia Toth at her Marshall University graduation.

“Having been an upcoming senior at the time who only just got her first internship the previous summer, I was having some worries over what I was going to do after graduating,” Ajia said. “I liked being in Huntington however, I needed to extend my roots outside of campus.”

When her mom passed along information she heard about First Ascend, Ajia saw it as an opportunity to not only stay in Huntington, but also find a community of professionals and remote workers in a similar stage of their careers.

First Ascent seemed like the perfect solution to her concerns about staying in Huntington and extending her professional network. At the time, Ajia didn’t have a job lined up but saw the program as a vital step in securing her professional future while remaining close to her family and friends.

“I love the friends and community I’ve found here in Huntington,” Ajia said. “I want to stay close to home while also being able to grow professionally in an environment I’m adapted to.”

Ajia’s experience with First Ascent has exceeded her expectations. She highlighted the mentorship and success coaching opportunities as particularly beneficial. These resources provided her with guidance and support, helping her pursue professional goals.

“It’s helped me to keep a sense of purpose after college.” - Ajia Toth

“It’s helped me to keep a sense of purpose after college, one that helped me to pursue long-term goals in my professional life,” Ajia said.

One of the standout moments for Ajia was the Bridging Innovations conference. Such social activities and networking events were integral to her positive experience, allowing her to build connections with other professionals in the region.

Ajia Toth working in the Marshall University greenhouse as a student

The program’s emphasis on hybrid and remote work prepared her for the realities of modern job markets, offering her the toolkit needed for success.

Currently working at the Boys & Girls Club in Guyandotte, Ajia is also hunting for remote opportunities that align with her career goals. Her experience as a remote employee has been both challenging and rewarding. Balancing three part-time jobs in a non-profit sector has taught her resilience and adaptability, skills that are crucial in the remote work landscape.

“I want more people to realize that First Ascent does more for than just coach you in working remotely, but offers events like camping trips, coworking spaces, and lots of social events to meet other First Ascent members. You’ll never just be stuck in your workspace at home every day.”

“First Ascent does more for than just coach you in working remotely, but offers events like camping trips, coworking spaces, and lots of social events.” - Ajia Toth

Ajia’s advice to prospective applicants of First Ascent is clear: if you’re considering a remote or hybrid career, the program offers invaluable resources and networking opportunities. “It prepares you not just for the job itself but for the unique challenges of remote work, such as maintaining communication, focus and balance between personal and professional life,” she said.

Ajia’s story is a testament to the impact of First Ascent, showcasing how the program helps young professionals navigate the transition from college to career, while fostering a sense of community and purpose.